Wednesday, August 26, 2009

So Many Kindnesses

Aren't I too old to feel like it's the first day of school???
Last night, I went to bed with the same scared anticipation as before the first day of school - all excited and terrified at the same time. And my first day was over in a flash. Next thing I knew I was pointing my car to the freeway and heading east.
Which gave me forty-five minutes of primo time to take stock of my day. So the theme for today is kindness because I have so many kindnesses for which to be grateful . . .
- a company letting me redefine myself with a totally new and very exciting job
- so many friends and coworkers who wished me well
- my new staff who are warm and sweet and told me where the ladies room was before I asked
- my predecessor who left a lovely note offering assistance and support
By the time I arrived home I'd gone from antsy third grader to channeling Blanch in "A Steetcar Named Desire" (who always depended upon the kindness of strangers).
I pulled in the driveway of my middle class home on my middle class street in my middle class neighborhood tonight and felt like the richest woman in the world.
Simple little kindnesses - the happy TNT of human interaction.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new job.

    I hope your scared anticipation has now turned into sheer excitements as you settle into your new position. I may be experiencing that adjustment phases when it all seems so overwhelming, but that will pass quickly.

    I have missed you on the MSW board!

    ReplyDelete