Tuesday, October 13, 2009

In Defense of Lazy Days

I'm still getting used to this working-the-occasional-weekend thing. I cannot tell you how weird Sundays are when they involve coming home from church and staying in my bra. Not that there's any law saying I can't take my bra off after church even if I have to go to work. It's just that I don't want potential residents thinking that I've stuffed fighting gerbils under my blouse.
So since I did work last Sunday (and got A TON of paperwork done), I took today off.
Let me tell you, there is no more luxurious feeling in the world than turning off your alarm and realizing you don't have to go to work.
Pure. Unadulterated. Heaven.
Not that I didn't get anything done today. I actually accomplished quite a bit but it was at my leisure. I got the coolant changed in my car (that was actually at my mechanic, Jim's, leisure). I walked 5 miles - twice. I walked DaBoys three times. And I finished my World Card Making Day tutorial for My Sketch World AND took a healthy stab at writing the next newsletter for Scrappy Jo's. I also checked my work email a couple of times and checked in at MSW and SJ and FB.
In addition, I took two half-hour naps with DaBoys just because I could. And because they used their big, sad eyes on me.
Then I made a wonderful dinner for POK (that's my Ken) because he's usually the one cooking on a Tuesday night.
Even after getting all this done, it really felt like I'd had a pretty lazy day. And in my opinion, the world could use a few more lazy days. Lazy days are the ones where you clear off your brain and just . . . coast into whatever it is you do next. More often then not, it's on lazy days that I get my best ideas for blog posts and layouts and solutions to sticky problems at work. It's those autopilot moments when my body is doing something totally mundane, that ping! into my brain pops the perfect thing to write to my friend who's lost her boyfriend and is hanging on to self-pity juuuuust a little too long. It's when I suddenly see with reassuring clarity the way to organize my weekend so that I can see my kids and still finish that last creative team project for Scrappy Jo's.
Then like the last puzzle piece of this lazy day tumbling nonchalantly into place - when I'm most comfortably unbusy, unpreoccupied and unengaged - into my head pops the words to that verse from the Muse's "Sing for Absolution" that has stayed elusivelytauntinglymaddeningly just outside my memory for the past week-
And I've had recurring nightmares
That I was loved for who I am
And missed the opportunity
To be a better man

Click.
Ahhhhhhhh.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!! Ahhhh....makes me want to take my bra off, just reading it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete